What's for Supper?

Pan cooked chicken with fresh zuchinni, onion, garlic, and penne pasta.

I used medium high to high heat.

Chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces sauteed in olive oil and butter.

Remove from pan and in the same pan add a little more olive oil and butter. Cut up zuchinni and onion (today I used chopped, frozen onion that I bought at Kroger) and add to the hot pan, then add garlic towards the end so that it doesn't burn.

Meanwhile, in salted boiling water, add 8 ounces of penne pasta. I've been using the less processed pastas with extra fiber. Cook until aldente (slightly firm). I keep the pasta in the water while I assemble the rest. Reserved pasta water will help make the dish saucier.

When the vegetables are close to tender, add the cooked chicken, and use a large basket style slotted spoon to put the pasta in the pan of chicken. Stir and add pasta water which will mix with the butter and olive oil to make the sauce. Sometimes I add heavy cream or half and half or milk for a richer sauce.

I like this meal because it's easy, it has most of the food groups, it's easy to clean up afterwards, it's not very costly and it takes less than 29 1/2 minutes!

You can modify this dish by using brocolli in place of the zuchinni and Italian sausage in place of the chicken.

I usually make more than enough for supper because my family likes to take it to work for lunch.

No comments: